so i’m white…
So, since I don’t have a picture on this site, I should let you know that I am white. I grew up in the white-middle-upper-class-suburbia of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I had a few good friends who weren’t white growing up, but for the most part I lived in a very white midwestern culture. It wasn’t until college that I tried to change that and have worked hard to live a more multi-cultural life. I won’t get into the details of my long cultural/racial journey here, but I do have to say that this website made me laugh. Stuff White People Like.
The funny thing is how many of the items on the list are right-on for Mike and I. (I’ve listed some below for you.) I’m white and I like being white. I also like being around lots of people who aren’t white, and while some things have changed (I cook mostly Mexican now) some things haven’t (#87 Outdoor Performance Clothes- what can I say? I love REI and Patagonia!)
So some samples for you that are right-on:
- #1 Coffee
- #6 Organic Food
- #7 Diversity umm…. yeah
- #12 Non-profit Organizations work for one
- #13 Tea
- #14 Having Black Friends ok, i admit it!
- #18 Awareness although I don’t believe it will fix too much
- #23 Microbreweries love them!
- #28 Not Having a TV how in the world did they know?
- #32 Vegan/Vegetarianism also dead-on
- #44 Public Radio i listen all day… probably has to do with #28
- #48 Whole Foods and Grocery Co-ops to get #6
- #60 Toyota Prius although i want an electric smart-car or twike more
- #61 Bicycles this would probably be my “save from a fire” item
- #62 Knowing What is Best for Poor People ouch but probably true
- #64 Recycling
- #75 Threatening to Move to Canada often
- #82 Hating Corporations and i love “no logo” and “adbusters”
- #94 Free Healthcare
- #100 Bumper Stickers got a bunch on the Civic
So, there you have it…